Minister Thong Khon Gave the Main Recommendations to be Clues in Preparing Siem Reap Provincial Tourism Development Master Plan
(Siem Reap): His Excellency Thong Khon, Minister of Tourism gave basic approaches and the main recommendations to be the clues in organizing Siem Reap provincial tourism development master plan, particularly to get master plan smoothly and successfully made. These recommendations were made in the opening ceremony of the 1st Consultation Workshop on Siem Reap Provincial Tourism Development Master Plan Preparation at Sokhalay hotel, on July 11, 2019. Within the ceremony, there are also participations from Prof. Harry Coccossis, from Toulouse University of French and the national and international experts. H.E. Minister Thong Khon stressed that this master plan has been a strategic crucial, contributing to Cambodian tourism sector development, especially supporting to the realization of vision of gaining about 11 million tourists in 2025; 15 million in 2030 and 20 million in 2035, and in which about 50% will travel to Siem Reap province, because Siem Reap is Cambodia’s the most important pol. Siem Reap province needs to improve its characteristics to catch opportunities existing on the international markets, and to alert for newly confronting challenges such as the trend of declining in the world economic growth, caused from trade war between the powerful nations, he added. Hence, this master plan needs to be prepared on the basis of the two basic approaches include:
First; sustainable management on greatly valuable tangible, intangible heritage properties;
Second; responsible and inclusive development with the consideration over economic and social beneficiaries for the local people;
So, all topics taken to discuss yesterday were inter-connected, requiring having a joint consideration, implementation and responsibility from all stakeholders. To make master plan preparation goes smoothly and successfully, His Excellency Thong Khon cited key recommendations as followings:
1. Call for institutions and all stakeholders to continue providing information to groups of secretariat and experts as requested as well as providing opinions as required in order to enable international experts to find out and analysis comprehensively.
2. Appeal to have participation from private sector, due to a successful development is needed to have absolutely cooperation with private sector, as direct service provider, and as guides who bring about tourist to Siem Reap province.
3. Despite this master plan have long – term perspective up to 2035, but strategic plan and some plans need to be soon implemented in response to the current situation. Hence, the experts and all stakeholders are to joint consider for the realization of this master plan, as an step by step practicable plan, following receiving approval from the royal government in the upcoming February, 2020.
4. Conserve Siem Reap city and other protected areas to be sustainable by all structures constructions in Seim Reap province need to be accordance with provincial land use plan and Siem Reap city, and legal documents on accurately urbanization and construction; inviolate to banned areas, governed by APSARA Authority, particularly have to respect for conserving guidelines of UNESCO and ICC- Angkor. While buildings in city need to be considered on synchronization on architecture, including structure roofs are to be prepared to have the same colors.
5. Owing to Siem Reap city is a both Clean City Award Winning Candidate(Three Romdum Flowers), and ASEAN Clean Tourism City Winner; So need to continue paying further attention to prepare cleanness, order, clean environment, drainage systems preparation, pay roads, biking roads, avoidance traffic congress in city, the continue to strengthen solid waste and garbage collecting service managements by organizing technical based – garbage storing places, solid waste processing improvement, preparing liquid waste treatment pool, natural filter, the using of Septic tank at the business bases as well as the organizing and maintaining drainage systems, the rainy canals, and bad water at the people’s residential.
6. Need to consider over the tourism product diversification to be variety by preparing Kulen national park and Tonle Sap areas to be eco-tourism destination, the arranging rural food tourism and agro-tourism, linking with temple areas; So need be considered on zoning protected areas by type of tourism products .
7. Promoting the using of information technology and telecommunication in developing smart tourism in smart city in Siem Reap province, by using a modernized tourism industrial management system, the newly technology utilization in fields of urbanization and construction, transportation ways and pattern of living of the people in order to respond high effectively to demand, and to the recent evolutions at the same time the entire world tourism sector has been moving to digital era. According to H.E. Neb Samut, Director General of Tourism Industrial Management, Ministry of Tourism, the studying on this master plan will be concluded step by step, and will be completely finished during the early of 2020. It will be taken to implement from 2020 – 2035, and there will be the studying, preparing and implementing subsequently.