World Tourism Day 2020! Cambodia Commits to Develop Tourism Sector Connecting to Rural Tourism, Agro-tourism, Ecotourism and Tourism Community
(Siem Reap): on the occasion of the celebration of the congratulatory ceremony for the World Tourism Day 2020, which was held under theme “Tourism and Rural Development”, the royal government of Cambodia, the ministry of tourism, the departments, units, public authorities and relevant private sectors committed to joint develop tourism sector connecting to rural tourism, agro-tourism, ecotourism and tourism community in order to drive a better domestic tourist movement along with the constantly implementation of tourist safety measures and the instruction of the ministry of health. The congratulatory ceremony for the World Tourism Day 2020 was conducted under collaboration between the Ministry of Tourism and the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), on 03 October 2020, at the Sokhalay Angkor hotel, Siem Reap province, under presidency of H.E. Dr. Thong Khon, minister of tourism and there are participation from H.E. Pov Pisith, deputy governor of Siem Reap province, managements, servants of the ministry of tourism, Siem Reap provincial administration, related competence authorities, tourism associations, tourism communities, universities, tourism vocational training schools, private sectors, and many other stakeholders, which are in total about 250 by following to the tourist safety measures and sanitation in preventing the outbreak of Covid-19 disease. The ceremony listened to the content quoted from a video clip of Mr. Antonio Guterrres, secretary –general of UN, Mr. Zurab Pololikashvili, secretary – general of UNWTO and the congratulatory letter for World Tourism Day 2020 of Samdech Techo HUN SEN, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia. The ceremony underscored a number of tips focusing mainly on the following points:
- Tourism, Rural Development and COVID-19: tourism has been a foundation of livelihood for the rural communities especially in the developing countries. Upon prediction of the UNWTO, international tourists will decline in the gap of 60 – 80% in 2020; hence there will be immense impact over the livelihood and rural businesses. The world sees that intra-tourists will return ahead of international tourists. Therefore, if there is clear management, the rural communities will get many benefits especially the jobs opportunity creation, the livelihood increase, and the improvement of local economy for the people, acts.
- Tourism Drives Rural Development: this sector has special capacity in supporting on the relive actions of the rural communities, assisting the local communities in recovering from Covid-19 crisis and boosting the inclusive and sustainable growth. The rural tourism development provides not only jobs opportunity and enhances the livelihood of the communities, but also contributes to dealing with the facing challenges with regard to climate change, immigration throughout actions such as the protection, and the conservation environment, natural sites, heritage, cultures, traditions, and local customs.
- Infrastructure and Education Sector: rural tourism development requires a high consideration in developing infrastructure and training tourism professionals in line with social – economic requirements and the evolution of technology. Related institutions also play important role in ensuring the construction of enough hard infrastructures to make tourists are able to visit and get good experience easily from the rural sites especially ecotourism and agro-tourism.
- The creation of additional and better jobs in the rural communities: the rural tourism development has created additional employments for the venerable groups such as women, young youths, as well as low skill people. Through the rural tourism product diversification, the newly jobs, creative ideas, and innovation will be established, as a supporting foundation to creative economy.
- Newly Opportunities: throughout the visiting of tourists at rural areas, the communities have opportunity in getting newly ideas and being able to increase capacity in newly technology and innovation. The skill development, the access to finance, the infrastructural development, digital transformation, economic diversification, new governance and the impact assessment should be placed as core point of the tourism recovery plan especially rural tourism in the direction to make communities have enough capability in developing tourism in their respective localities. The ceremony remembers forever the precious and priceless merit and brave heroism of Samdech Techo Prime Minister in the process of national unification and Cambodian motherland construction from ashes, left by Pol Pot genocidal regime and transformed Cambodia to have prosperity as today seen, being equal to the international stage, as well as has been playing very important role in the region and in the world as well. The ceremony committed to maintain the peace to be forever stable even at any cost and believe that “Enjoy Peace, Enjoy Tourism and Development”.