On 03 November 2020, His Excellency Thong Rathasak, Director General of Tourism Development and International Cooperation of the Ministry of Tourism, led ministry of tourism’s a working group to participate in 46th Meeting of the GMS Tourism Working Group (46th GMS TWG) via video-conference, in which Laos was the host country, along with participation from Great Mekong Sub-region member nations, representative of Asia Development Bank (ADB) and experts, totally over 30 participants, with the outcomes as following:
- Representing member countries of Great Mekong Sub-region illustrated current tourism situation in the context of Covid-19 and the discussion on strategic plans to recover post – Covid-19 tourism, of which Cambodia also raised about guidelines on sanitation and safety measures that the ministry of tourism, in collaboration with the ministry of health in preventing the outbreak of Covid-19 infected disease at the tourism business and service bases and tourist destinations across the Cambodia, together with a road-map on tourism recovery 2020 – 2025.
- Discussed about promotion on the Mekong tourism advertisement between Great Mekong Sub-region member nations throughout Experience Mekong Collection and Mekong Heroes on the www.mekongtourism.org of Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office (MTCO) and program initiative in line with Restart Tourism, with participation from public and private sectors and development partners of Mekong Tourism Council (MeTAG).
- Representative of ADB cited of support on tourism of Great Mekong Sub-region and newly initiatives in relation to tourism strategic plans, Social Media Campaign in order to support the tourism recovery in Great Mekong Sub-region along with the view on work possibility of tourism infrastructural development projects for inclusive growth in Great Mekong Sub-region (GMS) between Cambodia and Laos, which gets development projects from Asia Development Bank.
- Discussed on presentations by Mr. Harry Hwang, Asia – Pacific Regional Director of UNWTO on contribution to human resource development in tourism of the Great Mekong Sub-region member nations, rural development and tourism and the preparation for guidelines to recover tourism.
- Discussed on the request for changing name of Mekong (M) to Lanchang (L) from the Chinese side between Great Mekong Sub-region member nations, so MTCO (Mekong Tourism Coordinating Office will be changed to LMTO (Mekong Lanchang Tourism Office, within the meeting, all member countries continued waiting additional discussion in the 47th Meeting of the GMS Tourism Working Group (46th GMS TWG) in Vietnam in 2021.