Samdech Techo HUN SEN Already Adapted National Tourism Recovery Plan
(Phnom Penh): Ministry of Tourism, on April 01, 2021, issued a press release stating that Roadmap on Cambodian Tourism Recovery and Promotion Plan within and after COVID-19 crisis and Siem Reap Provincial Tourism Development Master Plan 2021 – 2035, which were already officially adapted by Samdech Techo HUN SEN, Cambodian Prime Minister on the last 30 March. The press release is as following:
- Roadmap on Cambodian Tourism Recovery and Promotion Plan within and after COVID-19 Crisis, tourism is a prioritized sector in making contribution to Cambodian socio –economic development. Tourism as well as other fields has received serious impacts from COVID-19 crisis. To Cambodia, the recovery of this sector is required to have precious and comprehensive consideration and orientation. In this sense, “Roadmap” on Cambodian Tourism Recovery and Promotion Plan within and after COVID-19 Crisis will become a compass and a significantly strategic plan in order to ensure for setting out a timely intervention measures. The roadmap would determine vision in transforming COVID-19 crisis into opportunity for Cambodian tourism reformation to become a qualified, safe and sustainable tourist destination by recovering the number of international tourists and promoting domestic tourism activities. Roadmap on Cambodian Tourism Recovery and Promotion Plan within and after COVID-19 crisis was organized by the ministry of tourism, with support from National Committee for Tourism Development, Committee on Education, Youth, Sports, Cult, Religious Affairs, Culture and Tourism of the National Assembly, relevant ministries and institutions and the private sector. The tourism recovery and promotion plan will be implemented in three phases, including:
- First Phase (Resilience & Restart): Risk management in new normal and organizing plan for recovery (2021).
- Second Phase (Recovery): Recovery of Cambodian tourism after COVID-19 crisis (2022 – 2023).
- Third Phase (Relaunch): Preparation toward to new future of Cambodian tourism (2024 – 2025).
The roadmap is of a total 09 strategies; 49 strategic activities; and 180 elaborated strategic activities, along with 17 prioritized projects. Additionally, to lead and follow up the implementation of action plan in each stage of the roadmap, the Royal Government will organize an institutional mechanism. The adaption of roadmap on Cambodian Tourism Recovery and Promotion Plan within and after COVID-19 Crisis this time is at the same time, the Royal Government is announcing to promote the vaccination campaign to the people and strengthen the mechanism to control the COVID-19 epidemic in the community.
- Second: Siem Reap Provincial Tourism Development Master Plan 2021-2035
Reap Provincial Tourism Master Plan 2021-2035 was prepared by “Inter-Ministerial Commission to Study the Master Plan for Siem Reap Provincial Tourism Development”, led by HE Dr. Thong Khon, Minister of Tourism and Chairman of the Inter-Ministerial Commission and approved by the National Committee for Tourism Development, chaired by Mr. Aun Porn Moniroth, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Economy and Finance. The Siem Reap Provincial Tourism Development Master Plan aims to enable Siem Reap to regain its pride as a major tourist destination in Cambodia and in Southeast Asia in the medium and long term. The master plan sets out vision for Siem Reap province to attract about 18.4 million domestic and international tourists to Siem Reap, of which 10.9 million are domestic tourists and 7.5 million are international tourists, creating about 940,000 jobs, bringing about 6 billion US dollars in revenue to Siem Reap and make the province and surrounding areas a “quality tourism destination” by 2035 by setting and implementing seven strategic goals, including:
1: Development of priority tourist sites in Siem Reap
2: Development of new tourism products
3: Promoting and attracting tourists to Siem Reap
4: Strengthening the quality and sustainability of tourism development in Siem Reap
5: Environmental management in Siem Reap
6: Infrastructural development and strengthening of connectivity supportive to tourism in Siem Reap
7. Strengthening governance to support the development of tourism in Siem Reap.
The master plan sets out a total of 44 strategies, a total of 136 implementation actions for the short, medium and long term, accompanied by 20 priority action plans. The Ministry of Tourism will continue to discuss with relevant ministries and institutions to promote the implementation of these two important strategic documents with a high sense of responsibility.