His Excellency Minister THONG Khon: One Week after Opening of Tourism Resorts, There Are Not Many Tourists, while Owners of Some Tourism Resorts and Tourist Destinations Have Not Reopened Yet
(Phnom Penh): His Excellency Dr. Thong Khon, Minister of Tourism, said on May 3, 2021 that a week from April 26 to May 2 after the Royal Government has completed the closure of tourism resorts; nationwide, there are not many tourists yet, while the owners of some tourism resorts and tourist destinations have not reopened yet.
His Excellency Minister Thong Khon stated that during a week, Cambodia received a total of 8,960 tourists, including 8,754 national tourists and 206 domestic foreigners. The Minister noted the main points:
- The number of domestic tourists is still small compared to the situation before the February 20 event.
- All tourist destinations in Phnom Penh and Kandal Province have not been reopened by the authorities.
- Separately, in other provinces, the provincial administrations have been very careful to reopen resorts and tourist destinations without allowing them to reopen, and continues to implement measures to restrict travel and access to key areas, especially tourist destinations.
- The owners of some tourism resorts and tourist destinations have not reopened yet, waiting to see if the condition of Covid-19 has a little bit improved and the number of tourists is still small.
- Tourists often visit in family manner and get together very little, and most of them are the locals.
- People are more aware of measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19, especially a measure (3 Protection, 3 Don’t), but need to be monitored and have more education and guidance on a regular basis, especially to maintain safety gaps.
- The Tourism Departments have cooperated closely with the provincial administrations in inspecting and continuing to educate tourists and resort owners to thoroughly implement the 3 Don’t; 3 Protection measure, and to participate in the implementation of measures to conduct quarantine and to provide samples for testing for Covid-19 disease thoroughly and not to allow tourists with Covid-19 to visit the above tourist destinations.
H.E Dr. Thong Khon added that the Ministry of Tourism will continue to urge the capital-provincial departments of tourism to continue to strengthen and increase cooperation with the relevant provincial administrations and business owners and managers in order to increase education, explain, guide more deeply and consistently tourists and staffs and service providers in resorts, tourism communities and in all tourism businesses to strictly implement the the measure(3 Don’t, 3 Protection to ensure safety and health for tourists and community people, especially when the Royal Government will end the closure of Phnom Penh and Takhmao in the future.