(Phnom Penh): To make a contribution to the development of effective and productive community–based tourism and ecotourism – particularly to transform facing challenges into opportunity, H.E. Thong Khon, Minister of Tourism, and Chairman of the National Committee for Management and Development of the Community-Based Tourism and Ecotourism, laid out 7 additional instructions in order to make the skilled officials implement effectively.
H.E. Thong Khon, on the morning of 21st November 2022, went to open the 3rd National Ecotourism Forum 2022, at Golden City Hotel, the Capital of Phnom Penh, with the attendance of His Excellency Say Sam Al, Minister of Environment and Permanent Vice President of the National Committee for Management and Development of the Community-Based Tourism and Ecotourism; His Excellency Dith Tina, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries and Vice President of the National Committee for Management and Development of the Community-Based Tourism and Ecotourism, together with skilled officials and many other community representatives.
The 07 points of recommendations of Minister Thong Khon, Chairman of the National Committee for Management and Development of the Community-Based Tourism and Ecotourism include:
1. Would like to ask the forum to take the content and outcomes of the 2nd National Ecotourism Forum to be discussed as well as follow up on the implementation of the set plans.
2. Would like to ask the forum to continue paying attention to studying the inclusion of tourism activities and ecotourism into the potential communities, even if they are under the jurisdiction of ministries or institutions – especially try to find successful models which are justified in the community development at both national and local levels at the same time all of related ministries/institutions – particularly the 3 skilled ministries: Tourism, Environment, and Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries have agreed in principle and policy in the inclusion of the tourism and ecotourism activities into the potential communities.
3. As the ecotourism and tourism communities are inter-connected and institutional, I would like to request related ministries/institutions to show the forum comprehensively policy and priority action plans in promoting the solutions to major challenges, such as roads construction connected to the community areas, electricity and water supply, mobile and internet system installation, waste management, Demining, and unexploded ordnance, treatment of malaria and other community problems, especially to meet the actual needs of local people.
4. Call for development partners, and national and international organizations that present here in the forum to provide technical and financial assistance to the ministry of tourism and the national committee for management and development of community-based tourism and ecotourism on the implementation of the ecotourism and community–related projects.
5. Ask the private sector to strengthen their support for communities – in particular boosting the arrangement of package tours to the community areas, and are to use the community available services, which is an encouragement to the participation of the local people to continue improving the quality and to avoid a condition of “Egg, Hen”. Along with this, the organization of community–related events should be encouraged such as ecotourism festival and tourism sports events at the main ecotourism areas throughout the country.
6. Would like to ask brothers and sisters coming from all communities to rise up their respective concerns to submit to the forum for discussion and leading to practical solutions in the forum, or to report to the royal government for making decisions after the completion of this national forum.
7. Would like to ask the forum to continue concentrating and discussing concept inclusion of creative and innovation into ecotourism area development in line with industry revolution era 4.0 to provide new experiences to the tourists, especially investment in the ecotourism areas and tourism communities.
Together with this, H.E. President of the National Committee for Management and Development of Community-Based Tourism and Ecotourism also showed his strongly believe that through discussion in this national forum, it would be able to get further good concepts to be foundations for compiling needy legal documents to promote the development ecotourism and tourism community in a responsible and inclusive manner – especially in the context, where we all are to adapt to new normal life.
Should be noted that on that occasion the presidents also handed over awards to the winners who produced 3 promotional videos about the tourism community, along with letters of admiration distribution to 24 communities for the 3rd National Ecotourism Forum 2022.